What is vocal coaching?
This is one of the most popular questions we get asked. The answer: it varies, depending on who you talk to. In our world, vocal coaching encompasses both teaching the foundations of vocal production and coaching individuals towards their best voice and big dreams.
Who is vocal coaching for?
We gave you the short answer on the home page but you may still be asking, “Is vocal coaching for me?” So here’s our A to your Q: Anyone who uses their voice to speak, whisper, hum or sing can benefit from vocal coaching.
Here’s a glimpse at some of Voxsana’s clients: kids, teens, young adults, moms & dads, grandparents, retirees, business professionals, authors, life coaches, energy healers, sports & yoga instructors, university lecturers, future The Voice/Broadway auditioners & music professionals.
And yes, everyone can sing. (I know you were wondering.)
What perks can I expect from vocal study?
Vocal exercises are designed to strengthen the voice, and that includes both your singing voice and your speaking voice. (Think of singing like sustained speech.)
The Voxsana method is unique to coach Jillian Mitchell and combines an ontological, holistic approach (mind, body, spirit) with the educational foundations of contemporary vocal study.
Just a few benefits of this integrative approach:
- A clear, resonant singing voice
- A clear, resonant speaking voice
- Increased vocal range & flexibility
- Better posture & breath control/support
- Boosted confidence
- Objectivity (healthier mindset & inner dialogue)
- A great relationship to practicing, to your voice
- Better connection to your audience
- A singing practice that’s consistent and joyful
What happens at a vocal lesson?
Magic. Together, we explore the voice and all its wonders by releasing tension to activate full-body singing. The result? Maximum self-expression. And a whole lotta fun! Lessons are customized to meet each client where they’re at, while designing a clear path towards their dreams & goals.
Here are the areas of focus that are important to us:
- vocal technique (to increase breath support, range, flexibility, endurance & resonance)
- song study (vocal technique & emotional delivery)
- customized practice routines
- genre study
- audition preparation
- a deeper look at your instrument (mind, body, soul) including vocal anatomy, wellness, mindfulness and nutrition
- busting through vocal limitations with a growth mindset
- tips to keep practice joyful while expediting results
- speaking voice analysis (speaking & singing= same place!)
- music theory
- sheet music study & aural study
- harmony work
- improv training (riffs, runs, scats)
- ear training, sight singing
- plus—as they say in the biz— a whole lot more!
Lesson materials are minimal: a binder/folder and your printed song lyrics/sheet music, plus some paper to take notes. On occasion, you may be asked to purchase sheet music, tracks, or instructional material, but otherwise, come as you are!
Is this a music school, or is there just one coach?
For now, there’s one coach— Meet Jill — and a super awesome admin team. But who knows what the future will bring!
Are you accepting new students?
Oh yeah! We accept students of all levels, beginner to advanced. No experience required, and no auditions required. Minimum age: 10 years.
Please note: video sessions are reserved for long-distance clients.
What is your address, hours?
Voxsana is located on Beaumont Ave. in View Royal, Victoria BC. Studio hours are Monday to Thursday, 11:30am-9pm.
(Schedule varies July & August)
What are your rates, policies?
We believe … That every voice matters—there are no two alike.
That harnessing one’s vocal prowess is a birthright.
That every voice can benefit for vocal study. That singing and speaking are a lot more alike than we think. That there is nothing to fix in the voice, only habits to unlearn.
And that the key to maximum self-expression is addressing your full instrument (mind, body, soul), while keeping it objective & FUN!